Thursday, July 7, 2011

A belated Father's Day

I stumbled across this yesterday: Why My Husband Deserves Father's Day


First things first, everybody ought to read that. I laughed so hard because it is the absolute epitome of our life together, right down to the diaper bag (although Chris wears our non-flowery diaper bag on his shoulder with pride!).

Second things second, it reminded me I never published the Father’s Day post I wrote. Fail. And it looks like I never wrote a special post for him last year either.  Double fail.

So, without further adieu… *clears throat*

Dear Chris,

Happy Father’s Day to a wonderful husband and father!

I am so happy to have you as my partner in parenting, and I know Averie is equally happy to have you as her daddy.

There is no substitute for the way her eyes light up when she hears your key in the front door. Even if you’ve only been gone for a few minutes, every time you come home is worthy of her running to the door so as soon as you unlock it, she can pull it wide open and show you how happy she is to see you.

I am grateful for how involved you are in Averie’s life, how involved you were even before she arrived. You are a saint for the way you indulged all of my very specific, and sometimes untimely, cravings! Thank you for always being willing to go in to work early so you could leave early and be with me at prenatal appointments.

Last month, I started making a list of all the ways you have shown me I definitely made the right choice (besides the fact that I love you to death!). Here are a few of my favorites:

You always give Averie her bath, even though at the end, you look like you got a bath too from all her splashing!

You change every single diaper wherever we are. I think I can count on one hand the number I have changed since August, so I will definitely miss this “perk” when you find a job!

You do your elephant impression anytime, anywhere, if we need to get a smile out of Averie for pictures. I know you think it’s embarrassing but both of your girls think it’s cute!

You keep the monitor on your side of the bed at night so you can get to Averie before I even realize she’s crying.

You found and washed out the lost sippy cup of milk from last month (ew!) that I would have just tossed out, because I know it must have smelled worse than death.

You come with me to every well-baby visit. I am grateful for your moral support and I love that you hold Averie’s hand when she gets her shots so that she knows you’re there with her.

Thank you for being so loving, so patient, and so fun!  I hope Averie will always have happy memories of the time you two spent together.

I couldn’t have picked a better guy to raise a family with. And Averie just can’t help but try to be like you!

No comments: