Sunday, April 8, 2012

Always Be Our Baby

Today is our last day as this family of three.  

Tomorrow, Chris and I will meet our baby boy!  

It is somewhat bittersweet, though mostly sweet.  Averie has grown so much in the last couple months and I have been so enthralled with discovering these new facets of her personality.  As a result, I am the tiniest bit -- not sad...but I don't know the word -- to be bringing a new baby home where I won't have so much time to watch just her grow, and just her learn new things and just her transform from my baby into a little girl. 

But then I think how can I be sad (or whatever that word that I'm looking for is)?  I will get to see even more of Averie's personality that hasn't had a chance to shine until now.  She'll be a big sister, and I'm gearing up for more of those epic 2-year-old tantrums when she realizes she's not the only center of our universe and she has to share the spotlight.  I love that she has been such a good helper to me as this pregnancy has taken a major physical toll on me.

I have enjoyed sharing this time with her, even though she has had a somewhat limited understanding of what's happening.  There's still nothing better than watching her face light up when the baby kicks her hand on my belly, or those spontaneous belly kisses.  I am excited to share one more pregnancy with an older her in a couple years, and see how different she is then.

I hope Averie will still know that our arms are always still open for run-and-leap-into-our-arms hugs.  And that I will always find time to tickle her and I will still laugh hysterically myself when she laughs so hard that she snorts.  I hope she knows that Chris and I will always love her the same, if not more everyday, even if we have somebody new to love, too.  She will be 2 1/2 years old next month but she will always be our baby!

1 comment:

Liz Wilcken said...

Has Averie seen Declan yet? That will be a special moment. :) We always film it when we first bring in the babies for the older ones to meet. Kate went nuts over the twins! I hope Averie goes nuts (in a good way) over Declan too! :) Congrats ya'll!