Monday, May 7, 2012

It's Official

I’m a college graduate.  It only took 8 years and a million dollars in grants and student loans (only a slight exaggeration) but a degree in Business Management is now mine. 

Business Management wasn’t actually my original plan.  That was Accounting.  But Accounting requires a passing grade in Calculus and the semester when I took attempted to take Calculus was the same time when I started experiencing symptoms of what would later be my multiple sclerosis diagnosis (kinda rhyme-y there!), and I dropped the course.  I took all the courses for an accounting degree, EXCEPT that one and, well, I don’t much care, because even though my diploma will say something different, I know I know my stuff.  *Childish Calculus rant*  I hate calculus!  Accounting is truly just arithmetic.  The last time I calculated a trial balance on the ledger, and completed my employer’s quarterly tax filings, I did not need to know how to find the peak velocity of a ball originally thrown at a speed of 37 mph (or something like that) so there!  *End rant*  

It feels good to be done.  It's been a long time coming but having kids and working full-time over those 8 years certainly will drag the process out!  And I was actually done 5 months ago, but I have also earned a degree in Procrastination (I'll leave that one off my resume though), which came in handy when actually applying for graduation :-D. 

Also, did you know Utah Valley University charges you $20 to graduate?  Even if you’re not walking?  You'd think that might be built into the thousands of dollars I already paid them to get here....

1 comment:

althnmore said...

congrats to the grad!!! Even though your not walking i say this calls for a celebration! so tell me when i can steal you guys 2 come up here and celebrate!