Monday, November 7, 2011

Pregnancy Post: It's Complicated

This post contains some TMI so feel free to skip if that makes you squeamish.

At about 2 AM Sunday morning, on one of my routine trips to the bathroom, I noticed some significant red spotting.  I woke Chris up and we went to the ER, where I had an ultrasound.  The ultrasound showed the baby was fine -- and kicking up a storm! -- but I had placenta previa.  This is a condition in which the placenta partially or completely covers the cervix, and it can cause the spotting.  Presumably, it’s been there the whole time and not caused any problems yet, so I don’t know what I did to aggravate it, but here we are.

So how does this change the pregnancy?  Primarily, it means I’ve been put on modified bedrest until further notice. No heavy lifting -- that includes Averie :-( -- and as little walking as possible.  Thank goodness it does NOT mean lying flat on my back all day long.  I at least get to sit on the couch :P.  It is another blessing in disguise that we are at my parents’ house at this time because Mom will be able to help me take care of Averie while Chris is at work. 

Where we go from here -- I have my 20-week ultrasound already scheduled for the last day of the month.  At that time, we will check the location of the placenta and if it has moved and the spotting has stopped, I will get to come off of bedrest and resume pregnancy as normal.  If not, we will continue with follow-up ultrasounds every few weeks to check its progress.  Worst-case scenario will be it doesn’t move, in which case, I will have an amniocentesis at 36 weeks to check the baby’s lung development and then we will schedule a C-section. 

Of course that’s not my ideal outcome but I know that this, and everything else in life, is in the Lord’s hands and I trust that He will bring me and this baby to the end safely, one way or the other :-).  

To end on a happier note: I'm down another 2 pounds for a total net LOSS of 8 pounds in 17 weeks.  Apparently, pregnancy is the best diet I've ever been on! :-D 

1 comment:

althnmore said...

I know at least 5 people including me who had the placenta over the cervix. It moved thank goodness for all of us. I've only seen one person actually have to do the c section. Remember no matter what you are in our prayers daily and hoping your health and pregnancy go well