Friday, March 12, 2010

Getting some deals

Last night, Chris and I went grocery shopping, using the Budget Busters coupon booklet that Macey's recently sent out (I also snagged a few more last week from the front of the store where they keep the ads). Macey's doesn't tell you at the bottom of the receipt how much you saved like Smith's does so I'm not sure on that number (because I was too lazy to add up all the price tags, haha), but we spent $17.19 for:
2 gallons 1% milk
2 gallons chocolate milk
2 Keebler Cheesecake Middles
16 Armour Lunchmakers
2 Dreyer's ice cream
2 Freschetta single serve pizzas
8 32 oz Gatorades
2 boxes Frosted Mini Wheats
All in all, a great trip. Got some stuff we needed (mainly just the milk, haha) and a lot of "fun" food that we might not have otherwise bought because it wasn't a necessity, but we couldn't pass it up since it was so cheap!

That's really not my favorite deal though.

Chris takes Prevacid for his acid reflux.
It's relatively pricey - $26 for a 42 pill box that lasts 6 weeks - and since it's an OTC medicine, it isn't covered by our insurance. The other day at Target, after some regular shopping, the register spit out a receipt for $10 off a box of Prevacid. I was thrilled because I knew I could combine that with the manufacturer's coupons I had from the newspaper and Internet and get this stuff for pretty cheap.
$26 Prevacid
- $10 Target coupon
- $4 manufacturer coupon (Internet)
- $2 manufacturer coupon (newspaper)
= $10 out of pocket

Not bad, right? But it got even better - in the newspaper a couple weeks ago, there was a mail-in rebate to get 50% of the retail price back. I just sent in our rebate form to receive another $13 back from the manufacturer, which means I'm getting PAID $3 to take a $26 box of medicine out of the store! It is a great feeling to literally make money off of something that we need.

3 comments:

Kristyn said...

That is amazing. I really should be better about using coupons. I clip them and have the best intetions of using them and then weeks later I find then expired in a junk drawer. Sad. BTW do you know how to delete a comment I tried to take your email address off of my blog and I can't figure out how to.

Kristyn said...

and I just figured it out. Never mind.

Heather Macbeth said...

That's awesome!!!! Good for you!!!! I don't know if you'd be interested at all but there's a website called thefrugalgirls.com. It's amazing. You should look at it if you're ever interested in more deals and freebies.