Thursday, December 29, 2011

A Mostly Merry Christmas!

I figured if I wanted to get this post up, it would have to be without the pictures or else it might be 2012 before it gets done!  I promise a separate picture post later.

It was a good Christmas for us this year, especially compared to last year's.  Well, last year's was just unbelievable thanks to the generosity of others but it was filled with a lot of dread and uncertainty as Chris was unemployed.  This year, he is employed with a great company that he loves and we are getting back on track financially.  ANYWAY, I digress :).

We celebrated with Chris' family on Saturday with breakfast and a gift exchange.  Sadly, I was in the throes of a sinus and lung infection so it wasn't much of a party for me, but it was great to see everyone again (especially since we had missed them at Thanksgiving as Chris was in the hospital recovering from surgery).  

Sunday was Christmas Day.  I have to say I'm glad that Averie still doesn't quite comprehend Santa so she slept until her normal time (a little bit later, actually) instead of the dreaded 5 AM wake-up call for presents that I remember from my own childhood :-).  

To say Averie is one spoiled little girl would be an understatement!  Santa had a shiny new play kitchen (that his elves spent 3 hours the night before assembling *yawn*) and play food waiting for her when she woke up.  She has really gotten into pretend play involving eating and feeding her dolls and stuffed animals and it was a big hit.  

We all got ready for church where we enjoyed a beautiful musical program.  It was a wonderful way to celebrate the season and think about what Christmas is really all about.  You do get one picture this time, because it was only taken with a cell phone!  
Averie looked gorgeous -- as usual ;-) -- in her floofy Christmas dress
After church (and nap), it was time for presents!  We thought we would be smart and save all of Averie's gifts for the end so that she could just tear into the paper, one after another.  Except she was more interested in playing with each toy that she unwrapped, so the video of her gift-opening is quite long (don't worry -- we won't bore you with it ;-)).  By the time we reached present #15, she had had enough and Chris opened the rest of her gifts for her.

She got more play food for her kitchen, some other Melissa and Doug toys (pattern blocks, puzzles and lacing beads), books, even more play food and kitchen-related toys and the hit of the evening: Let's Rock Elmo.  Heaven help us, but she LOVES that thing.  It's not too annoying...yet.

Chris and Averie gave me a handheld video camera (a Flip) so I can catch all those cute moments without bringing out the more expensive and fragile camcorder, and a Wacom tablet!  I had asked Chris for Photoshop since I'm getting into using my DSLR more, but he really went above and beyond, and the tablet comes with Photoshop so what a bonus!  Chris got a digital picture frame for his desk and the extended edition Lord of the Rings trilogy on Blu-Ray.  

All in all, a long, great, difficult, happy year.  I am excited for what 2012 will bring us.

1 comment:

althnmore said...

Merry christmas! We got your card you guys are looking great i'm so happy for you! What a wonderful christmas here also. I'll be posting a blog when i can get to my camera card and post a few that are way late! I really hope we can get in touch sometime soon. I do miss you