Saturday, November 27, 2010

Gratitude & The Holidays

At first glance, it might not seem like we have a lot to be grateful for right now. Chris is still unemployed and money is running out, but I AM grateful for a lot of things right now.

1) All the time Chris has had at home with us. Between working his main job at Convergys, doing a side job with my brother, and school, plus my school, it seemed like we hardly saw each other at all this year. I'm happy for all the time we've had to just spend as a family, without worrying about how we'll fit in cleaning house and grocery shopping.

2) A generous family. Really, couldn't have made it this far without them.

3) The temple. Add that to the list of things we've been able to do more often. It's been a much-needed and often-used source of guidance, direction and comfort.

4) Swagbucks. It may be more trivial than the others, but I'm grateful for it all the same. The rewards I've earned will be providing Christmas for us this year.

As we go into the Christmas season, I'm a little more conscious of how things have changed this year from years previous. I really miss being able to give as generously to others as we have before. Having been married for 5+ years before Averie was born, we accumulated a lot of "stuff" that we might not have afforded once she came along (now that 90% of our discretionary income goes to her and her needs).

As a result, this year, I find myself wanting for very little, and just wishing we could afford to give Christmas to someone who otherwise might not have one. Who knows? Maybe we will still be able to do that. The job we are waiting to hear from has 4 more shopping weeks before Christmas to let us know :).

No comments: