Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The “To Be Announced” is Announced

In an earlier post, I referred to another trial in our lives that I was not ready to post about yet.  I'm not posting this for pity, or anything like that.  Just another entry in the journal (albeit online) of my life.  

Long story short: I have been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.  I was waiting to post about it until it had been confirmed in-person with my neurologist, and I'd seen the results for myself.

Long story long:
At the end of December 2010, I woke up one morning with numb hands and feet.  Over the course of a several days, I went to my regular doctor, to the urgent care and finally to the ER, where an MRI of my brain was ordered. 

On that MRI, the radiologist and my new neurologist discovered a small lesion.  It was so small, they weren’t even sure it was anything at all.  For all they knew, it could be something everybody had, since the medical community is not in the habit of scanning the brains of otherwise “normal” people. 

Over the next few months, we did more tests – that came back normal – and a nerve conduction study, which showed I have carpal tunnel syndrome (no surprise there!), but that did not explain my symptoms.

I had another MRI done, this time of my neck and spine.  The results showed an inflammation in my spinal cord.  This could have been a post-viral inflammation (say, from a cold) or something worse.

After that test, I knew I needed to take some action to get my life back.  My hands were still numb, I could hardly type or write, and I could not take care of Averie by myself.  At that time, I decided to undergo a 3-day course of steroid treatments.  I went to the Infusion Center at the hospital for three days, three hours at a time and had 1,000 mg of Medrol pumped into me each day.  The steroids returned my hands to about 60-70% of their original functionality within a couple weeks, and there was a strong possibility that they would continue to improve. 

Last month – 6 months after the first MRI, my neurologist wanted to run a follow-up MRI of my brain.  If there were no new lesions, then this whole thing was a fluke, possibly due to the spinal inflammation, and life would go on as normal. 

Well, there was another lesion, no mistaking it this time, which by definition, means I have multiple sclerosis.

Future Outlook
I am lucky that my MS was found very early on and while I was very young.  I have a great prognosis, and there are so many treatment options available to me.  Up until recently, all of the treatment options have been injections, and for someone with an intense dislike of needles, that was the one thing I was having the hardest time dealing with.  However, a new oral medication just came out last year and so far, results have been great! 

I am lucky to have resources for support and advice and “success stories” of people diagnosed with MS that still went on to lead very normal, fulfilling lives.  I know I can be one of those people, and I intend to be!

Of course, this diagnosis still means changes in my life.  I will probably never have the energy to go, go, go 24/7 like I used to do.  My hands might never be 100% normal again.  The future is unknown, but I know my doctor is looking out for me and he has never once tired of looking for an explanation for me.  There are no words to describe what it means to have a doctor that really cares, and doesn't just tell me I'll have to live with it, or write out a prescription and shove me out the door.   

I am blessed to have Chris by my side through this.  He is a strong, supportive husband who has not once complained about picking up the slack.  He doesn't bat an eye when he walks in the door after work and the house is a disaster because I just didn't have the energy that day to clean.  He hasn't backed down over the looming expenses for regular MRIs and expensive medications.  He assures me that he'll be there every step, even though I might never be the same, and I know he means it.  My husband is amazing

I know I will get through this.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Sorry to hear about this!! I am glad that he treatments have become better and your prognosis is upbeat!

Heather Macbeth said...

I'm so so so sorry to hear about this. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. So glad you have a doctor who cares. That will make all the difference. We love y'all.

janaplus3 said...

Oh my goodness! What a surprise! I hope you continue to feel well. It sounds like you have a good group of doctors and family to support you. I'm here to chat if you ever need it!
Jana

Britta Hughes said...

Sorry to hear.. I'm glad it was found early and that you do have a great husband and family to help and support you. I'm also glad you have a great Doctor, they can be hard to find. We will keep you and your family in our prayers.

Liz Wilcken said...

Oh, I just wanna hug you to pieces. And not for pity, but because you still are an amazingly cute cousin! I'm glad you have Chris and family close by. He's a good man :)