Monday, December 31, 2012

A Sign of Our Times

(From September 2012)

Chris and I have only ever had cell phones, no land line. For the first five years of our marriage, before we had kids, we both worked and at least one of us was in school.  The rest of the time, we were out, living up the DINKS lifestyle, and didn’t see the need for a telephone we’d never be home to answer.  And we’ve still just never seen the need for one (we’ve just accepted that our kids will totally be the ones that have their own (cheap!) cell phones in elementary school).

The other day, Averie and I were playing house – “cooking” in her kitchen, playing with her baby doll, etc.

We’ve been looking for opportunities to increase her spontaneous speech (anything that is not an immediate imitation of our prompts) so I pointed out the toy phone and said “Brring, ring, brrring, ring!” and told her to pick it up and say “hello.”

Averie looked at me like I had three heads.

And it hit me.  Averie doesn’t know what a wall telephone sounds like!  The only phones ringing around our house sound like songs on the radio or tinkly little melodies.

Next time, I’ll try singing some Adele and see if she gets it.

No comments: