Monday, December 31, 2012

On Slowing Down...

April 2012
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
~"Song for the Fifth Child", Ruth Hubert Hamilton~

I seem to think that I have posted the above before, some other time when I had lost sight of cherishing the moments that won't wait, but I came across it again the other day and was grateful for the reminder.  It's not always chores for me, but it is always something.  Maybe evidenced by the fact that it's been over 4 months since I posted about Declan, and before Averie's 3-year birthday post last month, it had been 2 months for her.  And it's not like there hasn't been anything that I want to remember because so much has changed!  (SO MUCH. Seriously.)

There have been so many moments that are saved only in my own memory because I was too busily rushing around to snap a picture of Averie piling up toys to share with an upset baby brother or putting together a jigsaw puzzle by herself for the first time.          

I'm not typically one to wait to make a change until some milestone passes, but considering now is the right time for this anyway, one of my resolutions in 2013 is to not only spend more time getting to know my kids, but also to make sure I write it down so I can look back in 5, 10 and 20 years and laugh and tear up over how quickly they've grown.  

November 2012

No comments: