Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Couponing!

So I had my first really, super awesome deal on some groceries today. I'd say we regularly save as much as we spend on groceries since we started couponing but today was the first time that our savings far outweighed the spent amount.

Macey's was having a big sale on General Mills items and I had some coupons to go along with it. We were there on Saturday and had picked up a few items on the sale, but I wanted to go back and stock up some more before the sale ended tonight.

We bought all of this for $19.43. And, drum roll please, we saved
$51.22! OVER 70% SAVINGS!
That's 12 boxes of cereal (not the teeny boxes either), 2 packages of cookie dough (mmmm, coooookies...) and 4 bags of Chex Mix (that only cost 18 cents!).

I doubt we'll be able to get deals like this on a regular basis - it really was like the perfect storm of multiple coupons being out at the same time, from multiple places (so I could use all of them in the same transaction) combined with an already great sale. At least we shouldn't need cereal for the rest of the year :).

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Way to go! You did awesome! And I think you would be surprised at how often you can get deals like that. I got a TON of chex mix about 4 months ago for the same price. Sales seem to always come around again and corespond with coupons that are available. Don't you just love that feeling of seeing how much you got for so little money? :)

Melissa Blair

Julie said...

That is sweet! Do you use pinchingyourpennies.com? That is my favorite website! I take all the deals and coupons and price match at Walmart. Since where I live only has a couple of grocery stores, it rocks! I just bought the Reeses Puffs too!

Chris & Meghan said...

I didn't use pinchingyourpennies or any websites for this trip. I have used grocerysmarts.com before but this time, I just looked at the paper ad from the mail and matched it up with my coupons, since I was only buying a few things.

Liz Wilcken said...

what are swag bucks?

Chris & Meghan said...

You get them just for regular searching on the Internet. So instead of Google, I search through Swagbucks (which actually uses Google for searching). I don't get one with every search but I'm doing pretty well :). You can accumulate them and redeem them for Amazon gift cards, merchandise, a whole buncha stuff.